To learn more about me click here.
Cost to build a home in Vancouver has just gotten more expensive.
BC Building Code recently been changed
What’s changed and why is it now more costly to build a home in Vancouver
- Major change – requirement for more insulation installed in the exterior walls
- a 2 x 6 inch stud wall used to be adequate
- now a double wall of 2 x 4’s is required
- either that or you will need to install exterior rigid insulation w/ 2×6 wall – more costly.
- Why is the city requiring this now? – Blame the environment. 🙂
- joking – although capital cost is higher, your future energy heating costs will be lower.
Refer to Part 9 of the BC Building Code – look for the highlighted grey areas to learn more about the changes.